Completed projects by SSP
- Uganda Women Entrepreneurs Association (UWEAL) and Trade Mark East Africa.
- Unifreight Cargo Handling Limited Kampala, Uganda.
Uganda Women Entrepreneurs Association (UWEAL) and Trade Mark East Africa.
Project: “Simplification of East African Community import and export regulations, requirements and procedures”
Description of activities undertaken
We handled the “Simplification of East African Community import and export regulations, requirements and procedures” for Uganda Women Entrepreneurs Association (UWEAL) with support from Trade Mark East Africa. The assignment aimed at increasing women’s knowledge and understanding of EAC trade regulations, procedures, and requirements and benefits so that women can effectively engage in business as well as in policy and strategy formulation in Uganda and the East African Community. The project also aimed to sensitize women in the benefits of trading in the EAC.
SSP designed and led the following activities
- Conducted a baseline study to establish the level of participation of Ugandan Women Urban Traders and Women Light Processors in the EAC regional market as well as their understanding and awareness of key regulations, requirements and procedures which govern trade in the region.
- Researched and identified key gaps and opportunities within current EAC import and export regulations, requirements, tools, systems and procedures in order to establish their impact on business women’s participation and competitiveness in regional trade.
- Worked closely with UWEAL, women-intrade and key partners to review and develop simplified materials and manuals on the EAC trade regulations, requirements, tools and procedures.
- Sensitized women-in-trade and stakeholders on the above simplified materials describing EAC trade regulations, requirements, tools and procedures.
- Mapped out the EAC trade eco-system, their role and the services they offer, where, at what cost and how they would serve the women’s business needs.
Worked with UWEAL and its partners to develop policy papers and propose strategies on key processes, systems and structures that relevant stakeholders may adopt to ease entry and increase participation of Uganda’s women-in-trade in regional markets.
Unifreight Cargo Handling Limited Kampala, Uganda.
Project: Assessing and mapping the maize value chain in Uganda.
SSP is assessing the maize value chain in Uganda. The study aims to:
- Understand the major actors and their core functions in the maize value chain;
- Identify constraints and opportunities in the maize value chain;
- Identify feasible strategies to improve productivity across maize value chain;
- Explore the existing laws/policies and their impact on the value chain.